Are you looking for a family-friendly skiing resort where you can bring the young kids? If the answer is yes, you’re probably aware of how difficult it can be to find a decent place for the whole family to enjoy. Some resorts only cater for skiers and there aren’t many other activities on offer. In my experience, the best place to bring the family is to Breckenridge, a small town at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. You can stay in some of the rustic cabins in Breckenridge and have plenty of activities at your disposable to keep everyone happy. This is a mini-guide on how to have an awesome family vacation at Breckenridge this winter.
Why You Should Bring Your Kids to Breckenridge:
First of all, Breckenridge isn’t just a place for skiing and snowboarding. The town has a historical center with lots of family friendly activities to keep everyone engaged. You can take the kids to see some of the sights around the town in the morning and enjoy a meal together at one of the restaurants later. There’s also a high chance that you’re going to meet other families at the resort so the kids can make new friends. Another advantage is that the kids can get involved with some of the seasonal activities that they can’t do back at home.
Kid Friendly Activities in Breckenridge:
This section is here to give you an idea of the different things you can do at this resort. The ones below are specifically for the winter months when you’re here to ski. If you do come in the summer, there are lots of other things to do in Breckenridge, which you can find with a quick Google search. Here are some of the more popular kid-friendly activities at Breckenridge in winter:
- The kids may be too young or inexperienced to go down some of the slopes. But, it doesn’t stop them from having fun on the ice. You can take the kids ice skating on an outdoor and indoor rink that’s open every single day of the year.
- The Winter Gold Runner Alpine Coaster is, as the name suggests, a coaster. The kids sit in one of the cars and go down the track around twists and bends on 2,500 feet of track. You can find this on Peak 8 and it’s certain to be one of the highlights of their trip.
- Carter Park is a popular place for families to sledge down the hills. This is one of the only places in the town where you can go sledding and it’s a given that the kids will love every second of it.
- Another way to keep the little ones happy is to take them to hockey school. It doesn’t cost much and the instructors will teach the kids the basics of this sport. However, you should be aware that age restrictions do apply.
- One of the most popular places for kids is the Breckenridge Recreation Center. This has everything the young ones need to keep them busy for a few hours. There are two indoor climbing walls and different sports facilities. You can buy a one-day pass and the older kids can hang around here while you hit the slopes. This also gives them the chance to meet others that are the same age. But, be aware that children under the age of 10 need to be with an adult at all times.
Important Things to Be Aware of:
The most important thing is to plan what you want to do before you arrive. If you just turn up and try to plan everything on the spot, the chances are that it’s going to be disorganized and quite possibly a disaster. Some of the places are only open at certain times of the year and may be closed when you’re in town. It can also be time-consuming to get from one place to another and you need to organize the logistics of travelling around.
Make a list of things that you want to do with the family and search online for promotions or discounts. Some may have free admission on certain days or you may be able to grab a pass for multiple places. You may also be lucky enough to find special promotions at some of the restaurants. This helps to reduce the costs and gets you more value for money.
The next part is to plan what time you want to go to the more popular attractions. During peak season, there’s going to be lots of families that have the same idea as you. This means that places will be crowded and the roads can get congested. If you go in the afternoon, you’re probably going to have to wait in line. The kids are going to be bored and it can be a stressful experience for everyone. From my experience, the best time to go to the more popular places is early in the morning when they first open. You can then go to the other places later in the afternoon.
Breckenridge is a great place to come for a family vacation. You can enjoy hitting the slopes on some days and find plenty of ways to keep the kids happy on others. There are several family-friendly places in this town that other skiing resorts lack. So, book up your trip this winter and have one of the best vacations ever.